Since the invent of language humans have used words to understand, to wonder, and to inspire. Words can transform thoughts into ideas, and they can keep faith, hope and traditions alive.
These 10 quotes are some of my personal favourites. I think of them whenever I need a healthy dose of wanderlust.
1. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
2. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
3. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
5. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”- Mark Twain
6. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” -Tim Cahill
7. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
8. “A ship in a harbor is safe, but it not what ships are build for.” – John A. Shedd
9. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
10. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.”― Jack Kerouac